Forums

New Topics

Popular Topics

Please Login to your GreenMetropolis.com Account to Post and Reply in the Forum
RSS Feed
Posts in Topic : All Forums | Contemporary Fiction | Any Magnus Mills Fans Out There?
Started 09/06/2009 21:42:57 by Lynnair. Topic has 5 reply(s).

Lynnair

Lynnair

Stars 4.99 Stars

Ratings 158

Posts 1166

Any Magnus Mills Fans Out There?
#1 Posted 09/06/2009 21:42:57

Well are there? I have read all his books and they are all equally weird but strangely enjoyable. The Restraint of Beasts is his most famous. Anyone have any views on him?

StephJ

StephJ

Stars 4.89 Stars

Ratings 150

Posts 189

Re:Any Magnus Mills Fans Out There?
#2 Posted 10/06/2009 19:17:06

I read The Restraint of Beasts some years ago and loved it. Tam and Rich were hilarious characters. Not sure why I haven't read anything else by him. Which of his other books would you recommend?

Lynnair

Lynnair

Stars 4.99 Stars

Ratings 158

Posts 1166

#3 Posted 10/06/2009 20:30:50

Hi Steph

Explorers of the new century was my favourite of the rest, but they are all worth a read. Some books I read just pass me by and I struggle to remember one character let a lone the plot. But his books all have a least one or more scene or character I remember long after. In Restraint I can still picture Tam or was it Rich forever fumbling to find where they had put their cigs and matches, and the way they dispatch dead bodies so casually. I believe he has another one out soon about bus driving, he was a bus driver himself in a previous life.

StephJ

StephJ

Stars 4.89 Stars

Ratings 150

Posts 189

#4 Posted 11/06/2009 13:08:57

Hi Lynn,
Yes knew that Magnus Mills was was a former bus driver, I was working at HarperCollins when Restraint of the Beasts was first published and remember that he was previously a bus driver. Will add Explorers of the new century to my rather high to be read pile.

helne

helne

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 4

Posts 1

#5 Posted 24/09/2009 00:45:45

personally i preferred "all quiet on the orient express", but have only read that and "the restraint of beasts" although i'm aware he's got a few more titles out. will prob choose him over an unknown author though, but only just - slightly too formulaic..

M4rkyM4rk

M4rkyM4rk

Stars 4.54 Stars

Ratings 24

Posts 4

#6 Posted 14/11/2009 21:34:24

All of us gone for something different as I loved 'the scheme for full employment' Such a social comment on Britain today - Excellent stuff Magnus, can't wait for the new one to come out in p/back