Forums

New Topics

Popular Topics

Please Login to your GreenMetropolis.com Account to Post and Reply in the Forum
RSS Feed
Posts in Topic : All Forums | Contemporary Fiction | On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
Started 07/04/2009 15:06:28 by StephJ. Topic has 15 reply(s).

StephJ

StephJ

Stars 4.89 Stars

Ratings 150

Posts 189

On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
#1 Posted 07/04/2009 15:06:28
On Chesil Beach

On Chesil Beach
Ian McEwan

I have just finished reading this book and loved it! It is a short novel and some reviewers on Amazon described it as a 'novella' rather than a novel but I think Ian McEwan is amazing and can say/portray so much in so few words. He is definitely one of my all time favourite authors. What does anyone else think of On Chesil Beach?

scubagirl

scubagirl

Stars 4.79 Stars

Ratings 24

Posts 97

Re:On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
#2 Posted 07/04/2009 16:41:55

my husband told me not to read it as he thought it was the saddest book ever! I'm not usually keen on sad books but after six months of it sitting by the bed I just couldn't resist. I loved the book too. It was painful to read but that was the skill of the writer portraying the poor couples individual anguish. Oh what a bit of honest communication would have saved!
Did you read Saturday? That is one of my all time favourites.

StephJ

StephJ

Stars 4.89 Stars

Ratings 150

Posts 189

#3 Posted 07/04/2009 18:05:01

Yes, I totally agree...it definitely was painful to read and so sad. I didn't want to write too much in case of giving any spoilers. I think Ian McEwan is an incredibly skilled writer. I absolutely loved Saturday too and Atonement is another of my all time favourite novels.

genavive

genavive

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 7

Posts 6

#4 Posted 06/05/2009 14:24:06

I loved Chesil Beach too. Ian McEwan is just terrific at bringing people and situations to life. I felt emotionally drained whilst reading this. It is such a sad story but totally engrossing and believable.

Lynnair

Lynnair

Stars 4.99 Stars

Ratings 158

Posts 1166

#5 Posted 07/05/2009 17:05:21

Definately his best so far

archaeologist

archaeologist

Stars 4.88 Stars

Ratings 41

Posts 385

#6 Posted 25/09/2009 16:47:52

I have to say I prefer Atonement...

scubagirl

scubagirl

Stars 4.79 Stars

Ratings 24

Posts 97

#7 Posted 05/10/2009 19:56:43

me too, but he never writes a book that disappoints.

M4rkyM4rk

M4rkyM4rk

Stars 4.54 Stars

Ratings 24

Posts 4

#8 Posted 14/11/2009 21:32:24

I think all his books are different in a slight way, but noticeable and this makes them page turners that never disappoint and want me for one coming back for more

Tony14

Tony14

Stars I am New

Ratings 0

Posts 21

#9 Posted 30/12/2009 20:14:28

Ummm. This is only my second post here, but I'm gonna be slagged off times without number for saying that I'd be pleased, if I suffered from insomnia, to have any McEwan book at my bedside. It's not that his writing is particularly awful - it's certainly not, as it's often relatively good, sometimes passable, occasionally pretty bad, but he's just not the literary star he's made out to be. McEwan is a product of the UEA factory, and like any other mass-produced product will be consumed ad nauseam. I'd prefer to steer clear of the vomit bag, thanks all the same.

If anyone's mystified by the above paragraph, just go to recent American literature for a far fresher look on things.

Tony14

Tony14

Stars I am New

Ratings 0

Posts 21

#10 Posted 04/01/2010 08:51:36

An example of what I'm talking about came up in Saturday's Guardian Review, where McEwan wrote an end-of-the-decade obituary of Updike. He says: 'The Updike opus is so varied and rich that we will not have its full measure for years to come.' He didn't mean 'opus', which of course refers only to one work, but 'oeuvre', which refers to the total body of work. OK, we all make mistakes, but for a supposedly very good writer, McEwan makes far too many of them. End of rant.

jpb0205

jpb0205

Stars 4.97 Stars

Ratings 158

Posts 1196

#11 Posted 04/01/2010 14:13:58

I adore Ian McEwan and On Chesil Beach is possibly my favourite book of his. It's actually painful to read with its constant atmosphere of repression and voyeuristic view of the relationship. Like The Go-Between, it has a perfect opening line, which in this case summarises the whole book: "They were young, educated, and both virgins on this, their wedding night, and they lived in a time when conversation about sexual difficulties was plainly impossible."
The book reminds me of watching Nick Cave and PJ Harvey in the video of Henry Lee or listening to Chris Rea play slide on Stony Road. Too short, leaves me longing for more, painful but unmissable.

Mrs M

Mrs M

Stars 3.86 Stars

Ratings 813

Posts 63

#12 Posted 03/03/2010 16:52:54

absolutely brilliant moving poignant book.
and much in the same vein as david nicholl's 'one fine day' which i've just finished and thought was astonishing.
PS please excuse all spelling mistakes

jpb0205

jpb0205

Stars 4.97 Stars

Ratings 158

Posts 1196

#13 Posted 04/03/2010 12:38:57
One Day

One Day
David Nicholls

Quoted from Mrs McGee View Post
absolutely brilliant moving poignant book. and much in the same vein as david nicholl's 'one fine day' which i've just finished and thought was astonishing. PS please excuse all spelling mistakes

That's one for my reading list.
Thanks Mrs M and I can't see a spelling mistake in sight but is the book actually called One Day, rather than One Fine Day?

alijos

alijos

Stars 4.71 Stars

Ratings 14

Posts 29

#14 Posted 16/03/2010 12:50:06

I liked On Chesil Beach - had to read it after someone tried to describe it to me. It is sad, but very believable. On the other hand I loathed Atonement - I just couldn't get into it at all! I finished it - but only just!

Lianne24

Lianne24

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 4

Posts 5

#15 Posted 24/07/2010 19:05:11

A bit late coming to this thread... I loved On Chesil Beach and devoured it in a couple of sittings. The length of the book was perfect for the story - much more and it would have been too heartbreaking! Haven't read much McEwan but have read Atonement and although I found it very involving it didn't affect me on an emotional level in the way On Chesil Beach did.

scburts

scburts

Stars 4.58 Stars

Ratings 80

Posts 15

#16 Posted 07/11/2010 12:44:55

Coming even later to this tread, I think 'Enduring Love' is his best book. Well worth a read. I think there's a film of it as well, but I haven't seen it. I suspect the film would be too formulaic.