Forums

New Topics

Popular Topics

Please Login to your GreenMetropolis.com Account to Post and Reply in the Forum
RSS Feed
Posts in Topic : All Forums | Contemporary Fiction | Louis de Berniere is upsetting me! Help!
Started 06/03/2009 23:36:10 by scubagirl. Topic has 12 reply(s).

scubagirl

scubagirl

Stars 4.79 Stars

Ratings 24

Posts 97

Louis de Berniere is upsetting me! Help!
#1 Posted 06/03/2009 23:36:10
Birds without Wings

Birds without Wings
Louis De Bernieres

Someone mentioned this book and I bought it with great excitement thinking I had missed a gem from a writer I have enjoyed reading tremendously. However, and it's a big one....he admits in the foreward to his adoption of the style of Under Milkwood. This also happens to be a favourite. I even had a similar educational introduction to it, as the one he describes he had as a child. I am not sure of the tone in which he meant this play to be written. If it is a tongue in cheek nod to dylan thomas then I have lost my sense of humour. Cheap gags and blatant copying of form, syntax content...it has to be deliberate but I just don't think I can take much more! Has any one completed it? Is the reason it was in 'As New" condition because my seller felt the same? The silver lining is that I am now inspired to reread Under Milkwood. At least it is dragging my brain upward from the post children mire:) Oh and there will probably be an 'excellent' copy of it available very soon unless someone can convince me it is worth the pain!

Edited: difficulty explaining through the angst! (06/03/2009 23:39:17) 

scubagirl

scubagirl

Stars 4.79 Stars

Ratings 24

Posts 97

Re:Louis de Berniere is upsetting me! Help!
#2 Posted 07/03/2009 09:43:11

ps sorry it was late last ight. maybe this will make my rant a bit more meaningful. I actually liked the book pictured above.

lunar

lunar

Stars 4.86 Stars

Ratings 7

Posts 100

#3 Posted 19/03/2009 22:05:26

Haha scubagirl- I felt the same way about Love in the time of Cholera, by Gabriel ??? I just didn't get it at all, and it annnoyed me so much it stuck in my mind.

sooz2

sooz2

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 43

Posts 1046

#4 Posted 20/03/2009 12:32:16

hi scubagirl and lunar, i studied under milkwood at school many many years ago, you've reminded me of how wonderful it is. i loved listening to richard burton perfoming it.

i have a huge admission now, after hearing about the alchemist, how it changed peoples lives fave book ever etc! i rushed out and bought it, i just didn't get it! wish someone would explain it to me, i must of missed something. don't hate me all you alchemist fans it obviously went over my head!?

sooz2

sooz2

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 43

Posts 1046

#5 Posted 20/03/2009 12:35:13

you've given me an idea for another topic......

scubagirl

scubagirl

Stars 4.79 Stars

Ratings 24

Posts 97

#6 Posted 22/03/2009 23:06:21

I suppose there is a book for everyone lunar. I just reread Love in the time of Cholera and loved it so much I've dusted of all his other novels I have! We're reading the alchemist in our book club soon sooz so maybe I can pass on what it was all about when someone else can tell me! I went to find my copy of Under Milkwood from A levels 20 odd years ago and it must have disintegrated with the number of years neglected!
my classic book that I just don't get what all the fuss is about - moby dick. agonizingly awful.

Ann45

Ann45

Stars 4.7 Stars

Ratings 40

Posts 5

#7 Posted 17/07/2009 15:37:09

This is a reply to sooz2 about The Alchemist. You are not alone! It is one of the few books that made me so angry I threw it across the room. Sentimental, trite, glaringly obvious, whimsical (ugh)badly written and so on. If you have read "Ballet Shoes" the children in that perform in a play which was a big hit in the 1930s, called The Bluebird, by Maurice Maeterlinck. It sounds very similar - a message of "Be happy where you are with what you've got" wrapped up in a fake fairytale. We'd never have had education, democracy or a health service if everyone sat about being mystical.

AlisonAk

AlisonAk

Stars 4.78 Stars

Ratings 36

Posts 128

#8 Posted 07/08/2009 11:28:07

Oh I am so disappointed to hear that about the alchemist...I loved so many of his other books that I have just bought the alchemist on here. Im scared about trying it now...please don't give up on him though - try Veronika Decideds to Die - a brilliant book and it's short so if you do hate it you wont have wasted too much time. He really is a great author. The zahir is also fabulous.

Scubagirl - which Louis de Bernieres book was makign you angry? Birds without wings or sunday morning at the centre of the world? I love him too but havent read either of these yet - I have birds without wings on my shelf though...

One of the weirdest books I have read in recent times was senor vivo and the cocoa lord - how weirdly bizarre...a head of state with a giant cat as a daughter because he tried weird things with his wife....kinda warped....

KirstyGirl

KirstyGirl

Stars 4.84 Stars

Ratings 172

Posts 124

#9 Posted 07/08/2009 20:19:17
Red Dog

Red Dog
Louis De Bernieres

I find Louis de Bernieres very erratic. Some of his books are enjoyable e.g.Red Dog whereas I hated Captain Corelli with a passion.

TheWendyHouse

TheWendyHouse

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 209

Posts 1535

#10 Posted 08/08/2009 15:05:46

I'll echo that Kirsty.

Molescroft

Molescroft

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 1

Posts 417

#11 Posted 08/08/2009 17:59:07

Captain Corelli is the only one I have read, but I loved it! I just bought The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman so hopefully that will suit me too.

Cruise Queen

Cruise Queen

Stars 4.76 Stars

Ratings 17

Posts 10

#12 Posted 05/12/2009 12:04:57

Quoted from Molescroft View Post
Captain Corelli is the only one I have read, but I loved it! I just bought The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman so hopefully that will suit me too.

That's awful too! In fact I find De Bernieres intensly irritating and unreadable, but hell, maybe that's just me!

Rach B

Rach B

Stars 4.13 Stars

Ratings 8

Posts 11

#13 Posted 23/12/2009 22:59:09

I have been trying to finish Birds without Wings since summer and am finding it really hard going - Captain Correlli was so easy to read and entertaining that I thought I would try his others, but I have also started and not finished Cardinal Guzman which in parts I have found really entertaining but again a real trial in places and is also unfinished! Glad for the comments about Thomas though as I have not read Under Milkwood and will now have a go!