Forums

New Topics

Popular Topics

Please Login to your GreenMetropolis.com Account to Post and Reply in the Forum
RSS Feed
Posts in Topic : All Forums | Horror | Duma Key by Stephen King
Started 07/02/2009 21:00:10 by Bookworm Pete. Topic has 13 reply(s).

Bookworm Pete

Bookworm Pete

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 29

Posts 7

Duma Key by Stephen King
#1 Posted 07/02/2009 21:00:10
Duma Key

Duma Key
Stephen King

Hi!
I've just finished reading Duma Key by Stephen King, and was absolutely blown away by it, and wondered how other people found it. I've read most of his novels and enjoyed almost all of them, but I feel Duma Key is his best yet.

It's a long novel at almost 700 pages, but it never flags and he steadily builds up the tension throughout, with occasional well timed steps up in the pace. I love his earlier efforts like Christine etc., but while Duma Key has the same 'can't put it down' quality, it's in a class of it's own.

I felt like applauding when I finished it!

VikiB

VikiB

Stars 4.63 Stars

Ratings 35

Posts 106

Re:Duma Key by Stephen King
#2 Posted 08/02/2009 07:40:01

Hi Pete. I have to agree - Duma Key is fantastic. I'm not an avid reader of his novels, but I've read a few and this is my favourite by far. The quality of his writing here is outstanding and I was addicted for the entire book.
I've just bought Lisey's Story from this site and am looking forward to reading it soon.

vikki1

vikki1

Stars 4.36 Stars

Ratings 92

Posts 323

#3 Posted 08/02/2009 08:14:25

I am a huge Stephen King fan and read this when it first came out. I absolutely loved it as well. It is one of his best from the last few years. Some of his later ones have been a bit odd and not paced as well.

VikiB i heartily recommend Lisey's Story. It gets a little strange and sometimes your going huh, but stick with it the ending is fabulous. Not as good as Duma Key tho.

Nicola

Nicola

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 163

Posts 176

#4 Posted 08/02/2009 15:55:16

I have to say that I gave up with less than 50 pages to go as I just didn't care how it ended. I found it quite spooky in places, and initially thought it was the first of his books I'd enjoyed in ages, but then I slowly lost interest along the way.
It's way better than the Cell though, I think I barely made it half way through that, before I listed it for sale.

I used to love stephen King too. I'm not sure at what point I went off him, though probably after Grealds game, nothing has gripped me like the earlier books.

Bookworm Pete

Bookworm Pete

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 29

Posts 7

#5 Posted 10/02/2009 20:13:34

Quoted from Nicola View Post
I have to say that I gave up with less than 50 pages to go as I just didn't care how it ended. I found it quite spooky in places, and initially thought it was the first of his books I'd enjoyed in ages, but then I slowly lost interest along the way. It's way better than the Cell though, I think I barely made it half way through that, before I listed it for sale. I used to love stephen King too. I'm not sure at what point I went off him, though probably after Grealds game, nothing has gripped me like the earlier books.

Funny you should say that Nicola, as I do know what you mean, despite having enjoyed it so much when you clearly haven't!
Like you, I love the old books. I think his more recent efforts have seen him trying for a more 'literary' approach, which doesn't always work. I gave up on Gerald's Game half way through, feeling quite disappointed as it was the first of his I hadn't liked.
The more recent ones I've read are certainly a more demanding read. I suppose it all comes down to whether the book manages to entertain you enough to keep you reading, really.
Vikki1 - It sounds like I'll have to try Lisey's story sometime too!

MillyBlue

MillyBlue

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 6

Posts 77

#6 Posted 16/07/2009 18:04:29

I read a few of his books some years ago and enjoyed them, but I really didn't enjoy Duma Key at all, I was sorry I bought it.

moomin

moomin

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 150

Posts 3

#7 Posted 16/07/2009 22:12:36

Nicola and Bookworm Pete, I totally agree with you, his earlier books are excellent, but havent' read anything of his after being so disappointed with Rose Madder and Gerald's game. Your comments have made me consider adding Duma Key to the ever-growing to be read pile...

Badge272

Badge272

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 2

Posts 6

#8 Posted 23/07/2009 21:20:18

Duma Key was the first Stephen King I've read in years as I've always found King to be a little too descriptive to the point that you lose the plot. But Duma Key had some excellent characterisation. Edgar and Wireman were quite the team! I didn't want the story to end and at times I really didn't know where it was going to end.

Perhaps the story was a bit long at 700 pages and it wasn't until the final third of the book that the end game became visible, but I was really enjoying the ride and felt that it was a satisfying end - though I was sad to hear Wireman died.

I've always been a fan of Dean Koontz myself, but lately his books haven't been quite as intense or as satisfying as his earlier stuff, but King seems to have improved with age - in Duma Key's case at least.

lunar

lunar

Stars 4.86 Stars

Ratings 7

Posts 100

#9 Posted 28/07/2009 11:53:34

I love almost all Stephen King's novels, but I don't think that he'll ever better The Stand.

angeljune

angeljune

Stars 4.8 Stars

Ratings 40

Posts 782

#10 Posted 10/03/2010 14:47:57

I have read lots of Stephen King over the years and used to be my favourite author. Then I expanded the authors I read and moved more towards crime (saying that favourite author at the moment is Dean Koontz anything from last few years as did not like old stuff at all). For anyone stuck at the Rose Madder/Geralds Game I understand completely. Try Insomnia though as it is excellent. I "Think" it came out at the same period as Rose Madder but I don't have a copy here to confirm this.

And even better try Black House which he wrote with Peter Straub. Also The Regulators which he wrote as Richard Bachman. I thoroughly enjoyed all of these and are my favourites. I have just listed a pile of Stephen King books as I need to make some space so some of you might be interested.

angeljune

angeljune

Stars 4.8 Stars

Ratings 40

Posts 782

#11 Posted 10/03/2010 14:48:56

I have read lots of Stephen King over the years and used to be my favourite author. Then I expanded the authors I read and moved more towards crime (saying that favourite author at the moment is Dean Koontz anything from last few years as did not like old stuff at all). For anyone stuck at the Rose Madder/Geralds Game I understand completely. Try Insomnia though as it is excellent. I "Think" it came out at the same period as Rose Madder but I don't have a copy here to confirm this.

And even better try Black House which he wrote with Peter Straub. Also The Regulators which he wrote as Richard Bachman. I thoroughly enjoyed all of these and are my favourites. I have just listed a pile of Stephen King books as I need to make some space so some of you might be interested.

armchair artist

armchair artist

Stars 4.13 Stars

Ratings 8

Posts 15

#12 Posted 18/07/2010 14:00:30

Quoted from Bookworm Pete View Post
Hi! I've just finished reading Duma Key by Stephen King, and was absolutely blown away by it, and wondered how other people found it. I've read most of his novels and enjoyed almost all of them, but I feel Duma Key is his best yet. It's a long novel at almost 700 pages, but it never flags and he steadily builds up the tension throughout, with occasional well timed steps up in the pace. I love his earlier efforts like Christine etc., but while Duma Key has the same 'can't put it down' quality, it's in a class of it's own. I felt like applauding when I finished it!

I've read all the Stephen King books."The Dome" was pretty good,very long,one you could sink your teeth into.

Stars 4.99 Stars

Ratings 267

Posts 43

#13 Posted 20/07/2010 13:31:02

Hs writing changed because he sobered up and then had a nearly fatal accident. He seems to have found his way again

Munkee

Munkee

Stars 4.8 Stars

Ratings 45

Posts 29

#14 Posted 28/07/2010 12:27:05

Is it as good as Needful things or IT though ? They are my personal favourites