Forums

New Topics

Popular Topics

Please Login to your GreenMetropolis.com Account to Post and Reply in the Forum
RSS Feed
Posts in Topic : All Forums | Contemporary Fiction | Peter Carey
Started 09/04/2011 21:50:17 by Fiona G. Topic has 3 reply(s).

Fiona G

Fiona G

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 176

Posts 813

Peter Carey
#1 Posted 09/04/2011 21:50:17

I'm ploughing my way through Parrot and Olivier - has anyone else given it a go? I was given it as a birthday present, but I'm struggling to engage with it ...

Hetty

Hetty

Stars 4.99 Stars

Ratings 173

Posts 2748

Re:Peter Carey
#2 Posted 11/04/2011 08:27:36

Hi Fiona, I have recently finished this - one of the - I think - great reads I have pulled of the shelves on my recent rejoining of the local library. Carey has been likened to Dickens and I kind of agree - lots of great characters, humour and I am sure references which went over my head. But like Dickens I do have to stick in there with him.

Fiona G

Fiona G

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 176

Posts 813

#3 Posted 11/04/2011 16:30:10

Thanks, Hetty - that's interesting, because I struggle with Dickens too - I am persisting ...

Neverendings

Neverendings

Stars 4.47 Stars

Ratings 96

Posts 9

#4 Posted 16/10/2011 08:30:00

I've not read 'Parrot & Olivier' but I definitely have a hit & miss relationship with Peter Carey. 'Oscar & Lucinda' is amazing (might seem slow to get going but utterly absorbing, before you know it!) and 'Jack Maggs' was a great story (speaking of Dickensian, this one is a version of 'Great Expectations' & features a thinly veiled caricature of Dickens himself, as one of the main characters). On the other hand, I found both 'Theft' and 'My Life as a Fake' disappointing; and couldn't get beyond halfway of 'The True History of the Kelly Gang'...