Forums

New Topics

Popular Topics

Please Login to your GreenMetropolis.com Account to Post and Reply in the Forum
RSS Feed
Posts in Topic : All Forums | Contemporary Fiction | Books which made you think?
Started 15/01/2009 19:21:30 by LN. Topic has 65 reply(s).

LN

LN

Stars 4 Stars

Ratings 19

Posts 138

Books which made you think?
#1 Posted 15/01/2009 19:21:30
Girls

Girls
Lori Lansens

What books have kept you thinking, long after you've finished them?

I'd suggest 'The Girls' by Lori Lansens - a story about conjoined twins which manages to be thought-provoking, without being patronising.

LN

LN

Stars 4 Stars

Ratings 19

Posts 138

Re:Books which made you think?
#2 Posted 15/01/2009 19:23:13
Secret River

Secret River
Kate Grenville

Also, The Secret River about the colonisation of Australia. Uneasy reading at times, but well worth it.

Sunshine Girl

Sunshine Girl

Stars 4.79 Stars

Ratings 89

Posts 261

#3 Posted 15/01/2009 22:15:38

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas very thought provoking

Stars 4.17 Stars

Ratings 361

Posts 1

#4 Posted 17/01/2009 18:52:39

hi
depends what you want to think about!?
but i would unhesitatingly recommend
the fiction of alan furst.
mostly set in the largely unknown,
to us in britain that is, world of
eastern and central europe in the 1930
and concerning the hidden struggle to
frustrate and resist hitler.
fancy living in somewhere like poland
or romania, and knowing that sometime
in the near future the nazis were coming
to your nation and people!!!
these books make you think, and are
well written
recommend
the world at night
kingdom of shadows
night soldiers

Desperate Bookworm

Desperate Bookworm

Stars 4.91 Stars

Ratings 117

Posts 118

#5 Posted 18/01/2009 15:13:59

Without a doubt one of the most thought provoking books I have read.

sooz2

sooz2

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 43

Posts 1046

#6 Posted 18/01/2009 19:18:29

I agree with desperate bookworm, I changed my mind several times reading the book as to whether it was nature or nurture that caused Kevin to do what he did. Very thought provoking!

Desperate Bookworm

Desperate Bookworm

Stars 4.91 Stars

Ratings 117

Posts 118

#7 Posted 19/01/2009 19:35:32

Me too sooz2. I'd like to read it again and maybe study it a bit more. Amazing that it was writtne by someone with no children too.

Tom Thorne

Tom Thorne

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 155

Posts 67

#8 Posted 20/01/2009 14:44:37
Skallagrigg

Skallagrigg
William Horwood

Skallagrigg
William Horwood

One of the few books that made me cry!!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Stars 4.76 Stars

Ratings 178

Posts 47

#9 Posted 20/01/2009 23:07:04
Road

Road
Cormac McCarthy

Read this recently and it scared me silly, it's a post-apocolyptic type of book, perhaps not the most cheering read in the current climate, but very thought provoking. Don't stay up reading it in the early hours like I did though!

sooz2

sooz2

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 43

Posts 1046

#10 Posted 21/01/2009 08:06:56

Hi Elizabeth, the Road is a brilliant book, I read it in one sitting as I had to reach the end of the road with them. It stayed with me for a very long time and is one of the few books I would read again. The writing style is so clever, few words that say so much.

AmandaSt

AmandaSt

Stars 4.33 Stars

Ratings 18

Posts 9

#11 Posted 21/01/2009 08:13:03
Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell

Hi Elizabeth, I'd agree with We need to talk about Kevin - very disturbing book.

I also found Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell very thought-provoking - a real reflection on society that made me wonder if this was a prophetic book in the same way as 1984 is.

lunar

lunar

Stars 4.86 Stars

Ratings 7

Posts 100

#12 Posted 29/01/2009 20:25:21
Oryx and Crake

Oryx and Crake
Margaret Atwood

This one made me shudder - also The Road and Cloud Atlas I agree are very thought provoking

sooz2

sooz2

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 43

Posts 1046

#13 Posted 30/01/2009 09:39:07

Thanks for the recommendation lunar, Oryx and Crake has been sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read for far too long, it has now been moved up the list!

LN

LN

Stars 4 Stars

Ratings 19

Posts 138

#14 Posted 30/01/2009 17:27:37

I'd agree with that. Oryx and Crake left a lingering sense of uneasiness after I'd finished reading it - but definitely worth it. I'd also reccomend other books by Margaret Atwood - Alias Grace and the Blind Assassin were also good.

sooz2

sooz2

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 43

Posts 1046

#15 Posted 30/01/2009 18:53:50

Blind Assassin is also on my book shelf waiting to be read. I can't stop buying books! I wish I could find the time to read them all!

glassandfur

glassandfur

Stars 4.14 Stars

Ratings 22

Posts 2

#16 Posted 30/01/2009 19:02:17

Will Self is a pretty tough author. He novels lways seem to get a bit too crazy at one point or another, but his short stories are perfect I think.
This ones gets you thinking about life and death, amongst other 'big' things. I'm sure he said something along the lines of "I write about ideas rather than plotlines" so his writing should be quite thought-provoking!

hoolit

hoolit

Stars 4.28 Stars

Ratings 18

Posts 2

#17 Posted 18/02/2009 00:23:16

I agree with 1984 too. At the time I was reading it, it slightly washed over me, but it's a book that continues to come back to you, you see bits of it everywhere now - stories on the news, things politicians say and do, documentaries etc will sometimes bring it to mind in a terrifying way.
Another book that made me think in a different way was The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. The idea that no matter how insignificant we think our lives are, they do matter, is an idea which I try and keep with me. I picked up his other book For One More Day in a charity shop last week but sadly it will probably be a while before I can get round to reading it.

Edited: added a bit (18/02/2009 00:24:41) 

AlisonAk

AlisonAk

Stars 4.78 Stars

Ratings 36

Posts 128

#18 Posted 18/02/2009 22:35:16

Hoolit, Im not sure if you have read it already but... by far the best (and most commonly 'name-checked' - although deservedly so) Mitch Albom book is 'Tuesday's With Morrie'. Im not a 'crier' on real life things farless books but this did make a tear trickle - partly because its based on a true story and partly because it is such a simple fact of life, common occurrence and touches everyone.

A few have touched me recently; including the kite runner and a thousand splendid suns, the kommandants girl and The Bielski Brothers.

sooz2

sooz2

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 43

Posts 1046

#19 Posted 19/02/2009 07:42:54

I've just heard that a film is being made of Cormac McCarthy,s The Road, it's such a brilliant book I hope they don't make a complete hash of the film

Bookmad Emma

Bookmad Emma

Stars 3.7 Stars

Ratings 10

Posts 11

#20 Posted 19/02/2009 11:35:40

Hi All
Can I join your thread? I'm new to the Forum. Some really good suggestions here - although I'm not sure about "We need to talk about Kevin." We had a really good discussion about it at my book group and were divided about how real it seemed to us. As some-one who has suffered from post-natal depression I didn't find the account in the book very convincing, but I do accept that everyone's experiences of depression are different. I suppose the fact that I have a clear memory of the book and its impact on me means that - by definition - it is one that made me think.

When reading your post the book that immediately sprang to mind was The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I devoured this, refusing to come out of my sleeping bag or tent (we were camping! it's not just a strange quirk of mone) until I had finished. I then couldn't begin another book for several days.

Others which lingered in the memory were The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Attwood (I haven't read Oryx and Crake, recommended in an earlier post, but will put it on my list), Precious Bane by Mary Webb, Frankie and Stankie by Barbara Trapido and The Northern Lights trilogy by Philip Pullman. I know that the Pullmans are children's books but I was totally gripped by the idea of the parallel universes and the way that a mind like Pullmans must work.

Jodi Picoult can range from dire to thought provoking. The first one of hers that I read, My Sister's Keeper, was good, as was her most recent Change of Heart.

hoolit

hoolit

Stars 4.28 Stars

Ratings 18

Posts 2

#21 Posted 23/02/2009 12:47:52

AlisonAK - I've not read Tuesdays with Morrie Yet, it's also on my list but only for times when I have a box of hankies and a good supply of chocolate at the ready! One of the only books I've been in floods at was A Child Called It. It's a shame because I think everyone should read it, but it's become one of those cliched family trauma books, even though I think it was probably one of the first.

Nicola

Nicola

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 163

Posts 176

#22 Posted 23/02/2009 17:22:45

I love mitch alboms books. I always get annoyed that they are never on offer in waterstones or avilable on here when they are brand new out. £16.99 always seems a lot to pay for a tiny book that you can read in an afternoon!

But as soon as I see a new one in the shop I have to buy it straight away. I read them the same day and they sell on here really quickly too.

Offshore Alan

Offshore Alan

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 3

Posts 17

#23 Posted 23/02/2009 23:16:15

An interesting insight into people with Aspergers Syndrome (a brand of autism). And difficult in a way to refute some of their "logic". The "narrative voice" is that of a AS sufferer, which gives the book an extra dimension. It raises an intriguing question as to who is "normal". It certainly kept me thinking long after I had finished reading it.

Edited: 2nd thoughts (23/02/2009 23:19:27) 

TomG

TomG

Stars 3 Stars

Ratings 1

Posts 3

#24 Posted 01/03/2009 22:33:17
Engleby

Engleby
Sebastian Faulks

I read this over January, it's told from the perspective of the psychologically troubled Mike Engleby. The context in which it's set may be dated, but the themes are universal. Powerful, emotive and disturbing - by far Faulks' best since Birdsong in my opinion.

Bookmad Emma

Bookmad Emma

Stars 3.7 Stars

Ratings 10

Posts 11

#25 Posted 03/03/2009 21:42:18

I agree that this is a fab book. I really enjoyed it. Promoted great debate at my book group about the nature of bullying etc, the rights and wrongs of boarding school etc.

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#26 Posted 06/03/2009 17:32:37

Quoted from hoolit View Post
I agree with 1984 too. At the time I was reading it, it slightly washed over me, but it's a book that continues to come back to you, you see bits of it everywhere now - stories on the news, things politicians say and do, documentaries etc will sometimes bring it to mind in a terrifying way. Another book that made me think in a different way was The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. The idea that no matter how insignificant we think our lives are, they do matter, is an idea which I try and keep with me. I picked up his other book For One More Day in a charity shop last week but sadly it will probably be a while before I can get round to reading it.

I agrwee. This syats with you for a long time and leaves you wondering who your five would be. Someone on a greyhound bus in the usa once told me (after she'd told me a v personal story on learning of my interest in that field of USA history - by which time I;d been moves to tears) 'Whether you catch eyes and smile in the street or know someone a lifetime, we all become a part of each others' stories.'
That brought 'TFPYMIH' back to mind....that's kind of what it says really...

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#27 Posted 06/03/2009 17:33:10

Quoted from Offshore Alan View Post
An interesting insight into people with Aspergers Syndrome (a brand of autism). And difficult in a way to refute some of their "logic". The "narrative voice" is that of a AS sufferer, which gives the book an extra dimension. It raises an intriguing question as to who is "normal". It certainly kept me thinking long after I had finished reading it.

Yes, this made me understand my best friend's son better too. beautifully written

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#28 Posted 06/03/2009 17:34:29

Quoted from AlisonAk View Post
Hoolit, Im not sure if you have read it already but... by far the best (and most commonly 'name-checked' - although deservedly so) Mitch Albom book is 'Tuesday's With Morrie'. Im not a 'crier' on real life things farless books but this did make a tear trickle - partly because its based on a true story and partly because it is such a simple fact of life, common occurrence and touches everyone. A few have touched me recently; including the kite runner and a thousand splendid suns, the kommandants girl and The Bielski Brothers.

Tues with Morrie - I agree though not as much as TFPYMIH. the two Khaled hossieni books you mentioned are both amazing - both stay with you.

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#29 Posted 06/03/2009 17:35:20

Quoted from Desperate Bookworm View Post
Without a doubt one of the most thought provoking books I have read.

I couldn't get away with the letter format

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#30 Posted 06/03/2009 17:38:23
Lovely Bones

Lovely Bones
Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones...by Alice Sebold.
Haunting. By the time I understood the title I couldn't read for the tears. vivid and thought provoking.
If you love this book, get on itunes or gretchenpeters.com and check out her gorgeous song, by fluke written at the same time as The LB, called 'This used to be my town' just stunning.
Also mary Chapin Carpenter's 'My heaven' - that was I believe inspired by the book.

Edited: adding book (06/03/2009 17:38:56) 

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#31 Posted 06/03/2009 17:40:15
One Child

One Child
Torey L. Hayden

All by Torey hayden a special ed teacher....I work with EBD children and she makes me believe we can get through!
One child was the first and possibly most powerful....

Edited: adding book (06/03/2009 17:40:42) 

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#32 Posted 06/03/2009 17:41:22

Cathy Glass books....she is a foster carer and her books REALLY make you think....she's an amazing woman....not unlike Torey Hayden in her attitude....

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#33 Posted 06/03/2009 17:44:39
Sewing Circles of Herat

Sewing Circles of Herat
Christina Lamb

The Sewing Circles of Herat - Christina Lamb....
wow - talk about an evocation of opression in Afghanistan...awesome writing.

LN

LN

Stars 4 Stars

Ratings 19

Posts 138

#34 Posted 10/03/2009 17:13:19
Testament of Gideon Mack

Testament of Gideon Mack
James Robertson

Some interesting reccomendations, which make me want to buy more books, despite the pile waiting patiently in the book case to be read!

I can also reccomend 'The Blind Assassin', by Margaret Atwood, and really want to read 'A Handmaid's Tale', as I've read most of her other books (also highly reccomended!)

I'm currently reading 'The Last Testament of Gideon Mack', and finding that it poses some interesting questions on sanity, religion and faith.

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#35 Posted 10/03/2009 18:13:26
Shack

Shack
William P. Young

The Shack,
wasn't sure what to expect and din't really like the storyline as such, but good heavens does it make you think.....about a lot of things....

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#36 Posted 13/03/2009 18:14:19
Digging to America

Digging to America
Anne Tyler

Digging to America
Almost finished in 2 days, will be finished in bath soon!
Anne Tyler's best, I think

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#37 Posted 13/03/2009 18:14:48

Quoted from LN View Post
Some interesting reccomendations, which make me want to buy more books, despite the pile waiting patiently in the book case to be read! I can also reccomend 'The Blind Assassin', by Margaret Atwood, and really want to read 'A Handmaid's Tale', as I've read most of her other books (also highly reccomended!) I'm currently reading 'The Last Testament of Gideon Mack', and finding that it poses some interesting questions on sanity, religion and faith.

Wasn't quite sure either way about this one....

LN

LN

Stars 4 Stars

Ratings 19

Posts 138

#38 Posted 15/03/2009 15:39:59

Quoted from Hellie24799 View Post
Wasn't quite sure either way about this one....

Which one? Blind Assassin or Handmaid's Tale?

BookwormLaura

BookwormLaura

Stars 3.4 Stars

Ratings 10

Posts 3

#39 Posted 24/03/2009 17:14:35

oh god! so many!
the wind up bird chronicle- haruki murakami
to kill a mockingbird- harper lee
the little friend- donna tartt
birdsong- sebastian faulkes
is it wierd there seems to be a bird theme?!
also an evil cradling is one of the most powerful books i've ever read.

Stars 4.93 Stars

Ratings 118

Posts 15

#40 Posted 24/03/2009 18:28:29

Quoted from BookwormLaura View Post
oh god! so many! the wind up bird chronicle- haruki murakami to kill a mockingbird- harper lee the little friend- donna tartt birdsong- sebastian faulkes is it wierd there seems to be a bird theme?! also an evil cradling is one of the most powerful books i've ever read.

Wow Laura. Finally found someone with similar taste to me. Have read some Haruki Murikami but not that one - he's my son's favourite author after I gave him the Wild Sheep Chase for a birthday present (purely because the blurb seemed weird). Does that say something about me or my son?? Also loved The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint and all the John Irving I have read so far. A Prayer For Owen Meany is my favourite and stayed with me for a long time.

Caromel

Caromel

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 6

Posts 20

#41 Posted 26/03/2009 17:46:05
Girl with a Pearl Earring

Girl with a Pearl Earring
Tracy Chevalier

Lots of great suggestions on this thread which I have made a note of. I like books written about the future: Handmaid's Tale was one I loved and Cloud Atlas sounds like my kind of book, too. The one I'm writing is set in a parallel universe. Any other suggestions in a similar vein? I also loved 'Girl With a Pearl Earring' by Tracy Chevalier. The film was also excellent, all in the colours available to Vermeer at the time. I had loved the painting for years, too.

Edited: to add to. (26/03/2009 17:54:59) 

genavive

genavive

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 7

Posts 6

#42 Posted 29/04/2009 13:04:10
Shantaram

Shantaram
Gregory David Roberts

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is i think my all time favourite book. It has everything in spades! Good plot, well written, living breathing characters. i actually felt berieved when i finished it. Also it has an underlying philisophical theme that really made me think.
I carried this book around in my head for weeks and it is still influencing the way i think & respond to situations. i would love to share any one elses thoughts on this great story.

LN

LN

Stars 4 Stars

Ratings 19

Posts 138

#43 Posted 29/04/2009 18:02:17
Island

Island
Aldous Huxley

Caromel -Oryx and Crake is set in the future, which you might like.
Have you also tried 'The Island' by Aldous Huxley? That's set in a parrallel /future reality and has some interesting philosophy underlying it.

Liz Mills

Liz Mills

Stars 4.87 Stars

Ratings 212

Posts 1466

#44 Posted 30/04/2009 19:06:46
Mr.Golightly's Holiday

Mr.Golightly's Holiday
Salley Vickers

Goodness! I've not looked at this thread for ages and my first thought was "Life is too short!" Lots here I've read and others that I'd like to.

One surprising one for me was a book I picked up as a 'light read' after The God of Small Things, Mr.Golightly's Holiday by Salley Vickers. I'd read and enjoyed Miss Garnett's Angel, but this one stayed on my mind for quite some time as the ending was not what I'd expected.

thepizzeys

thepizzeys

Stars 4.2 Stars

Ratings 5

Posts 6

#45 Posted 30/04/2009 22:28:24

May I recommend The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein?

I'm not recycling this one yet, though!

Hetty

Hetty

Stars 4.99 Stars

Ratings 173

Posts 2748

#46 Posted 01/05/2009 11:55:29
Two Lives

Two Lives
Vikram Seth

Wow - so many of these books I have read and enjoyed - Tyler and Attwood being amongst my favourite authors. Then oh so many more to read. The book that has made me think the most this year is Vikram Seths Two lives - the biographies of his Great Uncle and his wife. One Indian and one German - fascinating and horrofic - funny and heart warming. Bridge parties in Hendon - their war stories with all that entails. Seths own take on the stories and his writing make this and excellent and thought provoking book.

Edited: spelling (01/05/2009 11:57:42) 

Liz Mills

Liz Mills

Stars 4.87 Stars

Ratings 212

Posts 1466

#47 Posted 02/05/2009 09:42:16

Quoted from genavive View Post
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is i think my all time favourite book. It has everything in spades! Good plot, well written, living breathing characters. i actually felt berieved when i finished it. Also it has an underlying philisophical theme that really made me think. I carried this book around in my head for weeks and it is still influencing the way i think & respond to situations. i would love to share any one elses thoughts on this great story.

Goodness, when I looked up this book I thought I was reading a plot synopsis but it was just the author's potted biography! It's not in stock here, but I'll look out for it. Thanks, Genavive.

Hetty, I always look out for Vikram Seth too, and that's one I've not read. Must get through my bookcase full of TBRs...

stupot

stupot

Stars 4.97 Stars

Ratings 383

Posts 92

#48 Posted 03/05/2009 00:43:12
Catcher in the Rye

Catcher in the Rye
J.D. Salinger

'Catcher in the Rye'. A book I read because of the John Lennon link (and i never understood why), but one which i always remember, probably because the main character has such a strong and interesting personality and take on the world. Made me think a lot about people, and that here not always what they appear to be on the outside.

Lynnair

Lynnair

Stars 4.99 Stars

Ratings 156

Posts 1165

#49 Posted 04/05/2009 21:28:10

This is a book from way back can anyone else remember The Chariots of the Gods. It was all about intelligent lifeforms from outer space being around for thousands of years, it compared cave drawings that showed flying objects and men in weird clothes. I remember at the time being really spooked by it and I am still a bit suspicious that we are all being watched by something out there, and I don't mean those CCTV cameras that are eveywhere!

Lynnair

Lynnair

Stars 4.99 Stars

Ratings 156

Posts 1165

#50 Posted 04/05/2009 21:30:16

good grief I didn't realise the problem was bigger than I thought I used one very small innocuous expletive and was censored by GM. I am going to sit on the naughty chair for a while

genavive

genavive

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 7

Posts 6

#51 Posted 06/05/2009 13:58:26

Quoted from Elizabeth View Post
Read this recently and it scared me silly, it's a post-apocolyptic type of book, perhaps not the most cheering read in the current climate, but very thought provoking. Don't stay up reading it in the early hours like I did though!

I'm reading this at the moment, thanks for the reccomendation. I'm really enjoying the austere prose & the menacing atmosphere. Yes it really makes you think... what if? Definately not a comfortable read but gripping for all that.

Alice4000

Alice4000

Stars 4 Stars

Ratings 6

Posts 1

#52 Posted 05/12/2009 12:38:55
Thousand Splendid Suns

Thousand Splendid Suns
Khaled Hosseini

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is i think my all time favourite book. It has everything in spades! Good plot, well written, living breathing characters. i actually felt berieved when i finished it. Also it has an underlying philisophical theme that really made me think. I carried this book around in my head for weeks and it is still influencing the way i think & respond to situations. i would love to share any one elses thoughts on this great story.

I agree with Genavive, Shantaram is a masterpiece, I feel envious of people who have not yet read it. Gregory David Roberts is a very special author.

I found 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' quite thought provoking. Its a sad and sometimes harrowing read but the insight that you get into the characters inner workings provokes tenderness in the reader and you really end up caring about (or hating in some cases) the main figures in the story.

archaeologist

archaeologist

Stars 4.88 Stars

Ratings 41

Posts 380

#53 Posted 05/12/2009 14:09:12
Canal Bridge

Canal Bridge
Tom Phelan

Don't know if anyone else has come across 'The Canal Bridge' by Tom Phelan - accurately described on the jacket as 'a visceral, lyrical evocation of the physical and emotional devastation of the First World War', centred upon young Irish soldiers during and after the War. Very thought provoking, and extremely good

Karen0212

Karen0212

Stars 4.73 Stars

Ratings 15

Posts 78

#54 Posted 10/01/2010 21:16:43
Thousand Splendid Suns

Thousand Splendid Suns
Khaled Hosseini

a thousand splendid suns,have just finished it and it nearly had me in tears which takes some doing especially as I'd just read the kite runner before that

LN

LN

Stars 4 Stars

Ratings 19

Posts 138

#55 Posted 11/01/2010 21:26:31

I haven't read this thread for a while, but these book reccomendations are tempting me to buy more...!

I agree with 'The Road' comments - definitely not one to read late at night!

semck004

semck004

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 4

Posts 19

#56 Posted 05/02/2010 12:42:55
Sand Daughter

Sand Daughter
Sarah Bryant

Quoted from Karen0212 View Post
a thousand splendid suns,have just finished it and it nearly had me in tears which takes some doing especially as I'd just read the kite runner before that

I agree with the above, both books were emotional. I also remember reading the sand daughter at about the same time.

MissyPip9

MissyPip9

Stars 4.93 Stars

Ratings 54

Posts 172

#57 Posted 05/02/2010 15:14:46

I admit this is probably a weird one but The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy. I first read it when I was about 9/10, not long after my Mum died. The girl in the story was a similar age, maybe a little older and her Mum was found in the lake. As the story developed it turned out her Mum had left the family for another man and had set up home in London. For years I was convinced that my Mum had left us for another man and I would 1 day bump into her again!

On a slightly more cheery note - The Dark Room by Rachel Seiffert (sp?) opened my eyes to the war through the eyes of the German civilians... It opened up a whole new style of writing and stories that I dip in and out of quite frequently.

Stars 4.44 Stars

Ratings 144

Posts 3

#58 Posted 12/11/2010 17:51:27
Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go
Kazuo Ishiguro

This one is still on my mind over a year after reading it. Definitely worth a read

Hoof Hearted

Hoof Hearted

Stars 4.74 Stars

Ratings 42

Posts 3

#59 Posted 21/11/2010 09:43:10

Avery good read. Prabakar is an all-time great character. I felt it lost something towards the end, but definitely a favourite book. Son enjoyed it too.

treefrog1

treefrog1

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 1

Posts 19

#60 Posted 01/12/2010 13:51:47

Odd isn't it? Shantaram lost me very early on - maybe I should give it another try!

The Kite Runner left me shattered, I don't think any other book has had quite that effect. I think it was to do wiht the fact that although it was fiction, it was a very real and recent setting and one which we would all dread having to face. The Cellist of Sarajevo (can't remember author) was similar.

merci beaucoup

merci beaucoup

Stars 4 Stars

Ratings 16

Posts 22

#61 Posted 05/06/2011 17:44:58

for me books that have made me think include some of the above like we need to talk about Kevin but others were-

The memory keepers daughter. Kim Edwards
The castaways Elin Hilderbrand
The last lecture Randy Pausch
Charlotte grey Sebastian Faulkes

am sure there are more but these easily spring to mind

Glorybe

Glorybe

Stars 4.93 Stars

Ratings 88

Posts 1993

#62 Posted 23/06/2011 12:11:59
Help

Help
Kathryn Stockett

The Help by Kathryn Stockett.
I found it hard to grasp that attitudes like that were as ingrained and hard faced as late as the 60s.

Sparks1992

Sparks1992

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 3

Posts 17

#63 Posted 01/07/2011 22:53:13

I also recently read The Help -some aspects of it really shocked me due to the deeply ingrained racial attitudes displayed. I've studied the racial tensions in America at A Level but I couldn't believe that they were still around in the 60s. The film is coming out later this year, but it really did make me realise how difficult life was for certain groups in America.

DeniseM

DeniseM

Stars 4.93 Stars

Ratings 132

Posts 66

#64 Posted 28/07/2011 19:30:51

The Book Thief? Incerdible

AbiYaffe

AbiYaffe

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 2

Posts 7

#65 Posted 17/08/2011 13:06:59

We need to talk about Kevin - absolutely overwhelmed by this book. I found it so interesting, disturbing and provoking. I've re read it a number of times and it does not fail to continue to amaze me. The most surprising thing for me, is that when all is said and done, I found myself being sympathetic towards Kevin, as the only honest protagonist in the book. I found that quite shocking. Brilliant book. Just phenomenal

AbiYaffe

AbiYaffe

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 2

Posts 7

#66 Posted 17/08/2011 13:08:38

Also, the house of the spirits by Isabelle Allende, I first read it aged about 10, and have re read it and leant it out to people countless times, it is so evocative and the interweaving of the political story within the almost fairytale like aspects of the lives of the family is so clever.