Forums

New Topics

Popular Topics

Please Login to your GreenMetropolis.com Account to Post and Reply in the Forum
RSS Feed
Posts in Topic : All Forums | Contemporary Fiction | The Thirteenth Tale
Started 15/01/2009 12:15:50 by Jeni. Topic has 18 reply(s).

Jeni

Jeni

Stars 4.19 Stars

Ratings 16

Posts 6

The Thirteenth Tale
#1 Posted 15/01/2009 12:15:50

I read The Thirteenth Tale last year and thought it was a fantastic read. It had me drawn in from the very beginning I couldn't put it down. Does anyone know if Diane Setterfield will be publishing anything else soon or maybe you could suggest any books that are similiar.

StephJ

StephJ

Stars 4.89 Stars

Ratings 151

Posts 189

Re:The Thirteenth Tale
#2 Posted 15/01/2009 13:43:16

Hi Jeni

I read the Thirteenth Tale last year and loved it too. I've just done a quick Amazon search and Diane Setterfield is due to publish an untitled book in 2010 so a while to wait. Have you read either of Kate Morton's books (The House at Riverton or The Forgotten Garden) or what about The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. I loved all those too.

Jeni

Jeni

Stars 4.19 Stars

Ratings 16

Posts 6

#3 Posted 15/01/2009 14:14:13

Hello Steph,
This is my first ever post so thanks for replying. I have read the books you mentioned besides the Memory Keeper's Daughter so I will have to look that one up see if anyone's selling it on here. I'm also a big fan of Joanne Harris and was amazed to discover that she and Diane Setterfield were spookily both French Teachers from Yorkshire ! It's such a shame Diane isn't bringing anything new out until 2010.

StephJ

StephJ

Stars 4.89 Stars

Ratings 151

Posts 189

#4 Posted 15/01/2009 19:55:26

Hi again Jeni,

I've never read any Joanne Harris books but as we seem to have similar reading taste maybe I will give her a try. Just thought of another book which I loved and may remind you of The Thirteenth Tale. Daphne by Justine Picardie, it's partly about Daphne Du Maurier but also partly seems to mimic the relationship of the second Mrs De Winter and Max. I thought it was very absorbing and would definitely recommend it.

scubagirl

scubagirl

Stars 4.79 Stars

Ratings 24

Posts 97

#5 Posted 08/02/2009 18:47:55

I just put my copy up for sale last night so was leafing through it happily. It was a really good read. Also a big fan of Joanne Harris. The Lollipop shoes was such a treat. Did anyone else have a problem with Holy Fools? I didn't enjoy it at all yet have loved everything else she wrote so far. Any more french teachers from yorkshire we should know about?

Liz Mills

Liz Mills

Stars 4.87 Stars

Ratings 212

Posts 1466

#6 Posted 17/02/2009 21:10:44

I've read most of her books but The Holy Fools seemed to me as if it was written by someone else entirely! I have just bought a copy of "The Thirteenth Tale" from Amazon as I couldn't find it here! It arrived in a poorer condition than stated too...

I bought it after hearing from a friend in USA that her reading group was going to discuss it. Then she said this week that she thought the book was like a soap opera, so I'm looking forward to seeing if she was wrong. I think we could do with a dedicated "discuss a book" section here. I love to discuss what I've read, but if I leave it too long I'm into the next book and forget the details.

Lilacwine

Lilacwine

Stars 4 Stars

Ratings 15

Posts 3

#7 Posted 22/02/2009 20:40:34

Loved this book and would also recommend it. Very much enjoyed the twists and turns.

Lilacwine

Lilacwine

Stars 4 Stars

Ratings 15

Posts 3

#8 Posted 22/02/2009 20:40:45

Loved this book and would also recommend it. Very much enjoyed the twists and turns.

sooz2

sooz2

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 43

Posts 1046

#9 Posted 23/02/2009 22:24:34

hi Liz Mills, I can't understand why you couldn't find the thirteenth tale on here as there are several copies for sale including mine. I wonder if it is because the search function seems to be very fussy, it doesn't come back with 'do you mean?' if you don't get the names exactly right or sometimes just denies all knowledge of a book that you know is on here.

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#10 Posted 31/03/2009 22:35:28

It's in my to be read pile. Worth promoting it?

Hellie24799

Hellie24799

Stars 4.94 Stars

Ratings 737

Posts 1942

#11 Posted 31/03/2009 22:36:00

Quoted from sooz2 View Post
hi Liz Mills, I can't understand why you couldn't find the thirteenth tale on here as there are several copies for sale including mine. I wonder if it is because the search function seems to be very fussy, it doesn't come back with 'do you mean?' if you don't get the names exactly right or sometimes just denies all knowledge of a book that you know is on here.

yes, I wish it would realise from a typo what you are trying to type in!

scubagirl

scubagirl

Stars 4.79 Stars

Ratings 24

Posts 97

#12 Posted 09/04/2009 21:38:39

I know you wrote this a while a go lizmills but my copy is also for sale. the search function is very picky. The thing I like most about google is the...did you mean....?! function. I expect you've finished it by now. What did you think? It was one of the books I read that I enjoyed and yet could still give to my mum to read. Not too heavy or saucy!

Lynnair

Lynnair

Stars 4.99 Stars

Ratings 164

Posts 1181

#13 Posted 11/05/2009 21:29:20

Hi bit late joining this thread but must agree with the others about Holy Fools my least favourite of Joanne Harris. Five Quarters of the Orange is the best I think must re read it. Thoroughly enjoyed The Thirteenth Tale especially as I have identical twin girls. They both enjoyed it too but not as much as me. A book I would recommend is Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, it's wonderful I have a copy but it is not going up for sale I'm afraid

Liz Mills

Liz Mills

Stars 4.87 Stars

Ratings 212

Posts 1466

#14 Posted 13/05/2009 00:19:12

Quoted from scubagirl View Post
I know you wrote this a while a go lizmills but my copy is also for sale. the search function is very picky. The thing I like most about google is the...did you mean....?! function. I expect you've finished it by now. What did you think? It was one of the books I read that I enjoyed and yet could still give to my mum to read. Not too heavy or saucy!

Oh! Just found this... (that's why I pestered for the "What I'm reading" heading under book titles not genres, which seems to work.

I've no idea why GM didn't find it for me on a search; as far as I can recall I had all the details and tried a couple of times. I didn't think it was the best book I'd ever read but didn't dismiss it like my American friend. Because I am involved with twins too, I found it interesting. I've written much more about it on another thread here, but sadly can't find it now...

Stars 4.55 Stars

Ratings 11

Posts 5

#15 Posted 14/09/2009 15:17:15

Jeni, you may like Barbara Vine (aka Ruth Rendell) books. Have very similar sociological situations. Asta's Book, The Brimstone Wedding and A Fatal Inversion are all good. x

treefrog1

treefrog1

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 1

Posts 19

#16 Posted 16/09/2009 17:10:03

I do agree with the comments about Holy Fools - audio was better, but still missing that certain something which makes most Harris books so fabulous. My favourite by far is Gentlemen and Players - more stings in the tail than a bucket full of scorpions! Intrigued by The Thirteenth Tale though - never heard of it.

LadyHazy

LadyHazy

Stars 4.61 Stars

Ratings 18

Posts 6

#17 Posted 13/01/2010 13:05:55

Hmmm, absolutely hated The Memory Keepers Daughter; it was far too melodramatic and the characters were annoying.
I finished reading The Thirteenth Tale about a month ago after a friend highly recommended it. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy that much either. The character Vida Winter was intriguing, but Margaret Lea was annoying; claiming that she could 'feel her dead twin', and 'our hearts are beating as one'.

Alanaos

Alanaos

Stars 4.46 Stars

Ratings 24

Posts 15

#18 Posted 23/01/2010 06:10:45

Just read this thread. I really liked Holy Fools and Five Quarters of the Orange (although still a good read) was my least favourite Harris book. The best by her in my oppinion are Blackberry Wine and Players and Gentlemen. I love her style of writing. The latter would make a great film.

Stars 4.44 Stars

Ratings 144

Posts 3

#19 Posted 12/11/2010 17:34:20

I enjoyed The Thirteenth Tale and the Kate Riverton books but I've just read The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova and absolutely loved it.