Forums

New Topics

Popular Topics

Please Login to your GreenMetropolis.com Account to Post and Reply in the Forum
RSS Feed
Posts in Topic : All Forums | Contemporary Fiction | Home by Marilynne Robinson
Started 18/06/2010 11:59:14 by archaeologist. Topic has 6 reply(s).

archaeologist

archaeologist

Stars 4.88 Stars

Ratings 41

Posts 388

Home by Marilynne Robinson
#1 Posted 18/06/2010 11:59:14
Home

Home
Marilynne Robinson

There hasn't been a new topic on here for ages, so I thought I'd start another. I've just read this book - quite quickly as I've been ill and had lots of time..it's beautifully written. Although very little actually happens, it really makes you think a lot about family, and the nature of home. It appears to be set in the 50s, although really it would be relevant in any time period it seems to me. I really recommend this, and I'm going to look out for Gilead which is a sort of prequel I believe

sooz2

sooz2

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 43

Posts 1046

Re:Home by Marilynne Robinson
#2 Posted 19/06/2010 08:25:14

I loved this book, beautifully written as you say. I think there was a discussion on here somewhere about Marilynne Robinsons books some time ago.

You've reminded me I have Gilead on my huge TBR mountain, will be moving it up to the top I think!

sooz2

sooz2

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 43

Posts 1046

#3 Posted 19/06/2010 08:33:55

Doh!!! I'm losing the plot!!! I just got her books out and I actually read Housekeeping not Home, which is also on my TBR pile.

Anyway, Housekeeping is also a beautifully written and haunting book and I would recommend it. It is her first book, followed by Gilead, then Home I think. But I wouldn't take my word for it, as you can see from my last post I talk complete nonsense sometimes haha

sando44

sando44

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 13

Posts 1

#4 Posted 14/07/2010 09:54:09

I would wholeheartedly recommend both Home and its "sibling" book Gilead - the stories actually complement each other as they describe the same events told from different perspectives and so could be read in any order. It's a kind of writing that seeps into your soul and lingers with you for a long time after you have finished reading. They are also books that you can read again and again and pick up something new every time. Beautiful.

Edited: misprint (14/07/2010 09:54:55) 

archaeologist

archaeologist

Stars 4.88 Stars

Ratings 41

Posts 388

#5 Posted 15/07/2010 16:17:58

I've bought Gilead from GM, and a friend has just lent me Housekeeping - I'm saving them both up for a treat!

Lynnair

Lynnair

Stars 4.99 Stars

Ratings 162

Posts 1177

#6 Posted 15/07/2010 18:44:32

I think she is brilliant. Have got Home to read but think I might re-read Gilead first.

archaeologist

archaeologist

Stars 4.88 Stars

Ratings 41

Posts 388

#7 Posted 27/08/2010 14:51:11

I'm well on with Housekeeping now - rather different from her later books in some ways, but still great characters. I wonder if she is planning to write any more books with the characters from Gilead/Home - perhaps what happened to the young son of the Rev. Ames in later life?