Forums

New Topics

Popular Topics

Please Login to your GreenMetropolis.com Account to Post and Reply in the Forum
RSS Feed
Posts in Topic : All Forums | Contemporary Fiction | One Day
Started 03/11/2009 22:12:32 by Jenny Carboni. Topic has 2 reply(s).

Stars 4.82 Stars

Ratings 22

Posts 15

One Day
#1 Posted 03/11/2009 22:12:32

David Nicholls' new book; 'One Day' ISBN 9780340896969 (Hardback)

I have just finished this wonderfully funny, but heart wrenchingly moving book. I have not yet read 'Starter for 10', by the same author, so I don't have anything to refer to as far as writing style etc, but in a way I am glad as I was able to read this without any history in my brain.

The book has been written in a wonderful way that charts 20 years of a friendship between Emma and Dexter; from their one night stand at university and on into the future. The clever bit is is that David Nicholls writes each chapter (20 in total) on St Swithin's day, July 15th. This means that for every chapter, a year for the two friend roles by.

I found this way of writing captivating and it kept the pace of the friendship fresh. I didn't feel bogged down in detail and the author didn't spend time filling in too many details from year to year. As a reader you are given maybe just 2 sentences to let you know the main events that have happened during the year, which for me, gave me the information I wanted, but didn't stop the flow of the day being written about.

If you want to read about 2 people who have a deep, lasting and trusting friendship and the highs and lows, scrapes and laughs that they experience through life, then this is the book for you.

Well written, totally cringe making at points and very true to life. I would give it a good solid 9/10.

Enjoy!

Lynnair

Lynnair

Stars 4.99 Stars

Ratings 164

Posts 1181

Re:One Day
#2 Posted 04/11/2009 21:20:30

Hi Jenny

I wrote about this book in the What I am reading forum. I also enjoyed it, have also read Starter for Ten which was also good. My only gripe, which is a litte one, is that I felt the book is written with a film in mind and as he was a former screenwriter and Starter for Ten was made into a film, is probably to be expected. This doesn't spoil the writing in any way but I was just aware of it.

Stars 4.82 Stars

Ratings 22

Posts 15

Re:One Day
#3 Posted 09/11/2009 18:07:08

Hi Lynnair,

My Mum and I totally agree with you on this one! We thought it would make a great TV script that would work over a few week time frame rather then a film, but yes, it is a script. :)

I didn't think that it spoiled it at all, in fact it made it a bit easier to read for me and I liked the way that I could almost press a pause button on it every time I put it down, as I would on a DVD, and the pace would remain the same when I picked it back up again.

I look forward to reading more of your reviews... I'll keep a close eye out for you.

Take care