Forums

New Topics

Popular Topics

Please Login to your GreenMetropolis.com Account to Post and Reply in the Forum
RSS Feed
Posts in Topic : All Forums | Horror | Paranormal Romance
Started 18/10/2009 17:59:45 by Jellybeanqueen. Topic has 4 reply(s).

Jellybeanqueen

Jellybeanqueen

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 290

Posts 65

Paranormal Romance
#1 Posted 18/10/2009 17:59:45

I don't visit bookshops that sell new books very often as I like to buy or swap second-hand if possible. So I was a bit bemused when I visited my local Borders and found that the horror section was very diminished in size and some popular authors missing from the shelves. After having a confused wander around I found a good proportion of the books that used to be under horror were now under paranormal romance. I was just wondering what people thought of the creation of this new genre?

beckywrigley

beckywrigley

Stars 4.5 Stars

Ratings 92

Posts 11

Re:Paranormal Romance
#2 Posted 21/10/2009 15:49:55

paranormal romance? Good grief.

Jellybeanqueen

Jellybeanqueen

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 290

Posts 65

#3 Posted 21/10/2009 21:27:04

Yep, it ranges from chick-lit with vampires and the like, through the teenage stuff like twilight on to other books like the True Blood novels and werewolf stuff like Kelly Armstrong's Bitten.

Not all of the books in the section I would consider romance and I wondered if the heading would put men off from reading some of these books. Particularly as borders put it next to the romance section.

beckywrigley

beckywrigley

Stars 4.5 Stars

Ratings 92

Posts 11

#4 Posted 28/10/2009 07:06:33

it would put me right off and i think it makes the horror genre sound a bit twee. In Waterstones they uses to have a decent horror section, but now its only a couple of shelves. At least its next to True Crime though, i would stop going altogether if it was next to the Barbara Cartlands!!!

EcoGoth

EcoGoth

Stars 5 Stars

Ratings 33

Posts 21

#5 Posted 03/11/2009 22:15:04

Unfortunately our nearest Borders DOES put paranormal romance next to conventional romance. It also hides the horror section away underneath the stairs to the next floor as if it's something to be ashamed of.

At least Waterstones puts it facing the horror section which is better, although I don't really see the need for separation from horror at all